Monday, September 25, 2023

Enjoying the Beauty of Autumn


Hello, beautiful people in the bloggerverse and beyond!  Well, we are finally here, at long last...Autumn.  Even though it was officially Autumn September 23 this year, here in sunny southern California, we oftentimes don't feel it until much later in the season; it almost always occurs on Halloween night.  I always notice that is the evening that there is a definite crisp in the air, and usually subsequent to that, the rains come.


A couple of years ago, just as the Autumn was upon us, we were able to stay in a cabin in the mountains belonging to a colleague of my husband.  This beauty was tucked away in the woods just a few short steps from Lake Arrowhead.  It was an amazing property, and we had such a great time.  During our time there, we took hikes, fished, and went shopping at the picturesque and charming town center, which even had a scant of upscale stores such as Coach.


On one of our hikes, I was giddy when I looked and noticed wild brambleberries growing alongside the trail.  Brambleberries are really any berries that grow on thorny, prickly bushes (or brambles) and include blackberries, raspberries, boysenberries, and fruits of the like.  I had never seen them growing in the wild, but I immediately recognized what they were and I went on to pick several straight away.  





When I got them back to the cabin, I decided to make a lovely brambleberry jam.  I completely  romanticized the idea of a morning java in the mountains with a jam made by my own hand.  Is there anything better??  ;) 


Here is my process.


I began by thoroughly washing the fruit.



I found this darling little antique saucepan in the cabin; it was just the right size for making a small batch.



I placed the cleansed fruit into the pan on medium to medium/high heat.



I added a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, about one teaspoon.  

I added sugar, approximately two to three tablespoons.



I brought the fruit to a boil, then reduced the heat to medium/low, and continued cooking until all of the liquid in the fruit was reduced.


I allowed the jam to cool completely.



Look at this beautiful view!




I couldn't wait to sit outside in that gorgeousness and enjoy the morning!  I served this yummy jam with bagels and inexpensive caviar.  I love a sweet/salty combo.  I also had a bit of orange juice.  It made for a lovely start to the day.



Have you ever found deliciousness growing in the wild?




Until next we meet...

--Y




If you enjoy this post, please visit the archives!  You may also visit my full profile to view my other blogs. Connect with me on my Facebook Page, Parsimonious Décor Darling.   You might like to visit my other blog hubs,

The Marvelous Maison, a lifestyle blog hub and 
Frugal Fab Fashionista, my fashion blog hub. 

Follow me on Pinterest!!  Please be sure to kindly follow the board guidelines!  Thank you!  

Thank you for stopping by! ❤











4 comments:

  1. Wow what a delightful trip. Such beautiful views and yummy jam.
    Visiting today from Crazy Little Love Birds #1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your beauty of autumn at Crazy Little Love Birds link party #8. Your jam sounds wonderful. Feel free and join us again this Friday. Party opens at 9 a.m. MST.
    https://crazylittlelovebirds.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete