I began by sanding, sanding, and sanding some more.
All sanded!! I didn't want to take all the stain off because I wanted some to show through for an antiqued patina effect (or so I hoped).
Next, I used a clean paintbrush to remove any excess sawdust.
The paint I chose is a specialty color in Ms. Stewart's metallic line. Thanks, Martha!!
Time to protect the glass. I love frog tape.....
Now, the stain
Once the paint was dry, I removed paint here and there. Again, for an antiqued effect. For me, it's all trial and error. After trying the fingernail, failing, I found that using the backside of a butter knife worked.....
Here is a close up.
And lastly, violà!! On my wall in the foyer.
.....And the other in the dining/living area.