Saturday, January 3, 2015

The Importance of the Handwritten Note

Hello, friends!  Thank you for stopping by today.

As Christmastime comes to its inevitable end, I usually use the first week of January for taking down the winter décor and writing thank-you notes.  

In our fast-paced, modern, ever-technical world, it seems like writing a note has become passé. There is even an ongoing debate over whether or not penmanship (or cursive) should continue to be taught in schools.  I stand staunchly on the ideal that this form of classicism should not die!  I feel it needs to be preserved, especially when old records and doctrines are written solely in longhand.  Also, I love the romantic idea of receiving something that has been hand-written!  Ok, ok, enough from the pulpit, lol.  In today's post, I am sharing a couple of ideas to add a tiny bit of fun and charm for those of us who still appreciate this (perhaps now considered archaic) form of communicating.  I hope you enjoy the post!  

During a recent trip to my local HomeGoods, I stumbled upon these adorable little notecards.  These little cards are empty inside, and perfect for jotting down a little heart-felt thank-you.  At $4 for the box of twelve (and tartan!!), I thought it was a great deal!

 

First, I sprayed a tiny square of paper and each notecard generously with my one of favorite scents of the season, Ralph Lauren's Holiday Stroll.  The box reads, "A blend of warm baked apple with cinnamon, clove and vanilla."  Yum!  Allow time for drying.



Next, I wrote my thank-yous and enclosed the bits of paper in the notecard. After writing, I decided to make each card look like a little individual present. This also ensures that the scented paper stays put when the card is removed from the envelope.  To do that, I simply adorned each little card with a bit of ribbon, double-bow-tied.


After closing, I stamped the envelope with my monogram stamper.  All set to be mailed!  Hopefully they will still smell lovely when they reach their destination!



Where do you stand on the cursive/no cursive in schools debate?




1/4/2015 1:44 P.M.  Update to post:  As I finished up the rest of my cards, I thought it would be an even cuter idea to enclose patterned plaid scrapbook paper cut into fun shapes rather than plain paper. Shown here.  


In closing, a bit of writing from me to you!  :)



If you enjoy this post, please visit the archives!  You may also visit my full profile to view my other blogs. Connect with me on my Facebook Page, Parsimonious Décor Darling.   You might like to visit my other blog hubs,

The Marvelous Maison, a lifestyle blog hub and 
Frugal Fab Fashionista, my fashion blog hub. 

Follow me on Pinterest!!  Please be sure to kindly follow the board guidelines, as it takes time and effort to find fabulous pins across the Internet and Pinterest!  Thank you!  

Thank you for stopping by! ❤

 

6 comments:

  1. Oh, this is a wonderful idea! I love those plaid notes, particularly tied up like special little gifts with ribbon, and I think they are perfect for Christmas thank-yous. I need to check my Home Goods and see if they have any. Such a great idea!

    I agree with you about taking the time to write a note. My MIL was famous for hers, and at her funeral, everyone (family, friends, and acquaintances) talked about it. She even wrote my cousin's wife 'thank-you's" for her Christmas cards! :-) Jackie Kennedy was truly famous for hers. I just think it is wonderful to receive a note after you have done something special for someone else, and I try my best to get them off in a timely manner.

    Cursive or not? No, I think they should still teach cursive, though I admit my printing is more interesting and readable than my cursive. I also like the way that some architects and designers write which is something unto itself. I wish that my penmanship were better. You should see my uncle's penmanship and his grandfather's! It is gorgeous. My cousin also wrote like that. Not sure who taught them, but it is the prettiest I have ever seen. I have old letters that I enjoy keeping to see that penmanship. I think possibly my uncle taught my cousin, but their grandfather/great grandfather was gone by the time my uncle and cousin were born. I imagine they have a teacher to thank!

    xo

    Sheila :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree....I clearly remember my grandmother's graceful longhand! I so wish I'd kept a bit of it! When I was little, my teacher really took penmanship serious and would award students for good writing just as if it were as important as any other subject. She was one of my favorite teachers growing up, and I loved trying to impress her, lol....maybe that's why I have such an affinity for handwriting! Thank you for stopping in!

      Delete
  2. Oh my sweet friend. This is truly amazing. I just finished a post on the forgotten art of sending thank you notes yesterday also. I just can't believe it. I guess great minds think alike.

    I appreciate receiving a handwritten note so I always make sure to send one when one is warranted. It is about expressing gratitude and appreciation when someone takes the time to buy us a gift, invites us to their home and simply because they did someone nice for us. It is incredibly touching when someone takes the time to send a written note and I for one, love to send them.

    Blessings for a beautiful week ahead.

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been reading and getting caught up. I agree that cursive should continue to be taught - if they're going to omit one it should be printing and just teach cursive - it's so much faster! (I think they should teach both, though) I LOVE that fabulous table you set with the bow-tie napkins, super glam and clever. Happy 2015 to you! Dawn @ We Call It Junkin

    ReplyDelete