Friday, July 19, 2013

Beautify Your Existing Cabinets

I often tell my hubby, sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind and just DO.  When we bought our house, the kitchen had plain, stark-white cabinets. Unfortunately, I completed the following project before I would have even fathomed writing a blog (we have five munchkins), so I don't have pictures. I can, however, guide you through what I did. 

First, I chose a new color. Our humble Casa is a Mediterranean, so I opted for a warm color; French Latte. 






To create the antiqued look, I used a dark espresso paint.


First, I painted all of the cabinets with the Latte color. Allow for dry time. If you do not want to sand, use a primer first.

Next, in varying places on the cabinets, and especially the corners, I painted with the espresso paint in an extremely thin coat.  Alloy to dry. Sand very lightly with the finest grade sandpaper, making sure not to remove too much of the espresso color. Wipe clean with a damp towel and allow to dry. Next, I applied a coat of the French Latte over the espresso, and carefully wiped small amounts of it away with a clean paper towel. Last, I replaced the plain white drawer pulls with oil-rubbed bronze.  You can buy these in bulk very inexpensively at hardware stores. I also recommend using a clear polyurethane over the finished cabinets to preserve the paint job.  Here is the result. 








Next, I wanted to upgrade the area beneath the bar.  First, I measured the bar area and chose corbels that would fit.  I decided on this model.  It wasn't overly expensive, and ornate enough that they didn't appear cheap. 

I completely painted the corbels in the French Latte. Next, I upgraded the plain wall beneath the bar. I accomplished it by using wainscot panelling. It comes in small or large pieces, and you can just clip them together based upon how much you need. 




I nailed up the amount needed using very small nails, and puttied the holes using Dap nail hole filler.  Next, I painted the wainscot to match.  I put up floorboards that I had pre-painted white. The hubby drilled the corbel in by going underneath the cabinet on the opposite side. I filled in any gaps using the Dap and my finger, wiping any excess with a clean paper towel. Allow for dry time, and paint to match. Here is the end result. 





                          




If you enjoy this post, please visit the archives!  You may also visit my full profile to view my other blogs. Connect with me on my Facebook Page, Parsimonious Décor Darling.   You might like to visit my other blog hubs,

The Marvelous Maison, a lifestyle blog hub and 
Frugal Fab Fashionista, my fashion blog hub. 

Follow me on Pinterest!!  Please be sure to kindly follow the board guidelines, as it takes time and effort to find fabulous pins across the Internet and Pinterest!  Thank you!  

Thank you for stopping by! ❤








2 comments:

  1. The panelling and the corbels look fabulous. What a difference with just a few items. It's the details right? Nice work! I will head over to Facebook and like your page. Come visit me on Facebook at SouthernAbbey if you get the chance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Heather.....will do! Thank you for stopping in!

      Delete