Friday, November 20, 2020

Ageing Galvanized Metal


Hello, Blogland Buddies and beyond!  I hope everyone is enjoying the beauty that Autumn has to offer, even in the state of the world today with a horrific pandemic looming. 

I attempt to keep some sense of normalcy these days as much as possible.  It is a comfort in these trying times.  I have decorated for the fall, and it will remain that way until next week because we will still have our immediate family (seven of us total!) over this coming Thanksgiving.  I think especially this year, it is important to count those small blessings, and all of  my children save for one are still minors living at home.  Our eldest has been home quarantined, so we feel safe to be together this coming holiday.  

Today, I am sharing a quick tutorial about how to age galvanized metal.  It is perfect for decorating fall crafts.  I hope you enjoy the post!


There is something so charming to me about things that are old and tell a history.  It is likely why I love collecting antiques.  Sometimes, though, homemade "oldness" can be just as lovely.  This tutorial is one I found by perusing YouTube.  Of all the tutorials I found, this one via Mr. DIY Dork seemed to be the most comprehensive.  The video also includes three ways to age your galvanized metal.  The method I chose is using Lysol toilet cleaner.


To age your galvanized metal you will need:

Steel wool (I used S.O.S. pads)
Lysol toilet bowl cleaner
Gloves to protect your hands



A galvanized bucket. I found this extra-large one at Lowe’s.



First, I began by removing the sticker and any remaining residue.  I used the toilet cleaner, but I’m sure Goof-Off or Goo-Gone would work as well.  Generously wet down the metal with the toilet bowl cleaner.






Add additional toilet bowl cleaner and work the solution into the metal using the S.O.S. pad.  Allow to sit for a half hour or so to allow the chemical reaction to take place.  Rinse off.  Here is a shot of an untreated bucket next to the treated one.  Easy Peasy!!


This weathered metal look can be used for all types of DIY and crafting projects, and I ADORE that it sooo easy!


Perfect for a rustic little vignette for the coming Thanksgiving celebration.



Thank you so much for popping into my little corner, and I hope you and your friends, family, and loved ones are safe!  Until next time,



--Y





If you enjoy this post, please visit the archives!  You may also visit my full profile to view my other blogs. Connect with me on my Facebook Page, Parsimonious Décor Darling.   You might like to visit my other blog hubs,

The Marvelous Maison, a lifestyle blog hub and 
Frugal Fab Fashionista, my fashion blog hub. 

Follow me on Pinterest!!  Please be sure to kindly follow the board guidelines!  Thank you!  

Thank you for stopping by! ❤







.












4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great tutorial. I am so glad you were able to have your immediate family at your table this year! Such a blessing right now! Stay safe and have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great tip! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm!

    ReplyDelete