Several months ago (or longer), a bit after I first began blogging, I purchased four mirrors from my local Salvation Army with the intent of refinishing them. Here is a snap of two of the mirrors. There was a pair of each of these very heavy mirrors.
I began by lightly sanding the mirrors. I used frog tape to protect the mirrors as I went to work. I chose to paint the mirrors a dark espresso color, and I love that you can still see the grain of the wood. Here is a look at the detail. I just love these fleur-de-lis carvings at the top of each mirror as well as the delicate curves. The espresso color made the mirror look a little richer than the original walnut color.